Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Hour Record (for slow riding?)

I wonder what the record is for the least distance covered in an hour of constant bike riding on level ground, no trackstanding allowed.

I don't think I broke that record, but I gave it my best shot on the fixie, going maybe 2.5 miles?

The family decided to walk to a local store about 2.5 miles away. We made it about halfway when the usual suspect decided he was tired and wanted to turn around.

I tried to match the family's walking pace, but I just couldn't go that slow, so I'd ride ahead as slow as I could manage, then circle back.

Wow, that was a real workout--not aerobically at all, but a workout in control and muscle fatigue from constant leg braking to go as slow as possible. It was kinda fun, though when I got off the bike I could hardly walk.

So that's yet another cool thing about fixies--they make it fun to go slow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home