Saturday, June 03, 2006

Inaugural Post

I've just started on yet another "new" bike project to help me go from point A to point B (and back to A of course). I want to document the project, so why not setup a blog for it and other things related to transportation cycling?

The project is the conversion of an early 90's vintage Bridgestone MB-6, welded steel 21-speed MTB into a single-speed/fixed-gear road bike. This bike had been gathering dust and rust in the garage, taking up storage space.

Somehow, I've caught the fixie bug though I have never actually ridden one. I was set on buying a Giant Bowery from Frank's Cyclery but noticed that I don't really have storage space for yet another bike in the garage, hence the conversion of an existing, unused bike.

There are a number of possibilities for this type of conversion (i.e. a vertical dropout frame), but I chose what I felt would be the most likely to work out well, i.e. a White Industries eccentric rear hub built into a new wheel.

This is turning out to be a three-for-one project:
  1. I get a fixie out of it
  2. I don't consume more storage space with yet another bike
  3. I get to build my very first wheel (a rear one at that, though non-dished)
And how is all this related to cycling from point A to point B? Not especially much other than a fixie is supposedly a unique cycling experience that is well suited for short trips on mostly level ground, and that fits one of my transport cycling needs very well (except that point B is at the top of a moderate hill of the 40mph-on-the-descent-if-I-want variety).

What more could I want? A new cycling experience and it's good for transportation.

I hope to have some interesting pictures to post soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home